PVC, ABS, TPR, TPE, Silicone, Borosilicate Glass – they’re the materials that make up some of the best sex toys on the market. But just what the heck do those abbreviations mean? Is one better than another? Refer to this quick guide to sex toy materials to help you choose the best sex toys for you.
• PVC aka Polyvinyl Chloride - PVC is a vinyl polymer so versatile and valued for its durability and flexibility that you’ll find this sex toy material in just about every kind of sex toy - from dildos to vibes, plugs to strap-ons, and more. PVC is great for making both softer and firmer sex toys in a variety of exciting colors. PVC sex toys are durable, compatible with most lubes, and clean up easily. Savvy shoppers should be aware of health concerns over the long-term use of phthalates (plasticizers) in PVC.
• ABS aka Acrylonitrile Butadiene Stryene - ABS is a common thermoplastic sex toy material that’s lightweight, easy to manufacture, and is super-tough and impact resistant. For these reasons, ABS can be found in a wide variety of hard plastic sex toys like your favorite waterproof vibrators, dildos, and anal plugs. ABS sex toys are also easy to clean, and are non-porous and phthalate-free.
• TPR/TPE aka Thermoplastic Elastomer/Rubber - These hybrid blends of plastic and rubber are probably the most commonly used sex toy materials today. TPR/TPE sex toys are easy to make and can be extremely soft or hard – in fact, TPR/TPE is what you usually find in especially lifelike and real-feel sex toys like pocket pussies and lifelike strokers. TPR/TPE toys are non-phthalate, durable, and are compatible with water-based lubes.
• Silicone - A mixture of organic and inorganic material, silicone is a polymer found in only the very best sex toys. That’s because this sex toy material is both fantastically versatile, durable, temperature resistant, and extremely body-safe. Silicone sex toys can hold temperature for hot or cold play, can usually be boiled or washed in the dishwasher, and with care can last for years and years. You’ll find silicone in vibrators and cock rings, as well as in the highest-end luxury sex toys.
• Borosilicate Glass - Specially tempered glass specifically designed to withstand temperature changes. This sex toy material is also found in some of your favorite cookware products and in professional laboratory equipment – it’s just that versatile. Glass sex toys are great for hot & cold temperature play, and can be easily made into beautiful shapes and designs. Unfortunately, most glass sex toys don’t tend to transfer vibrations well, so the most successful glass sex toys are non-vibrating dildos and anal plugs. Borosilicate glass sex toys are made for enthusiastic use with no breakage, cracking, or chipping.
And remember, you can always find sex toys made from all kinds of sex toy materials at AdamEve.com.
Get the Hottest Deals sent right to your inbox!